4.10.2006

13,800 stitches in time. . .

Well, one sleeve of my fabulous kimono is finished! At 120 stitches per row, 115 rows, this baby took me all week to complete. Turns out not steaming that recycled-sweater yarn was a brilliant idea, because now the fabric has this great, knobbly texture to it that would not have been there had my yarn been completely smooth. I hope it doesn't go away with blocking. This texture has given me an idea to do a fabric with "accidental-on-purpose" purls on a stockinette stitch background. No pattern, just random purls. I think it might give an overall bumpy, raw silk textured effect. Swatches to come.

Here are my sleeves in all their half-finished glory:


Now, I know you're thinking, "Those doesn't look at all like sleeves, they look like big rectangles!" And that is why I am designing knitwear, and not you. ; ) Just kidding! (Mostly. . .)

Here's a shot of the sleeve-in-progress:


I attempted close-ups of the teeny tiny stitches, but we all know that my camera sucks, so I decided to go with the more broad shots instead.

I am so excited about this piece! Being in Florida doesn't often call for long-sleeve ANYTHING, much less a sweater, but this 3/4 sleever is going to be great for going to the movies! Why are the movies always so darn cold?

Till next time,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the finished design. I really like kimono sleeves!
    Thanks for the nice comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sis, lookin' good...and besides, you can always wear your cool long sleeve stuff when you come visit us in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete