8.19.2012

In Which We Visit the Carolinas

The Dr. and I were in the Carolinas this weekend, for the first of at least four upcoming interviews for the doc. Can't believe he'll be getting his first "real" job next year! In an almost unbelievable twist of fate, it turns out that the CEO of the hospital the Dr. interviewed at was none other than the mother of one of my best knitting friends from when we lived in Kansas City! Truly, it's a small world after all.

We spent the weekend driving from place to place between North and South Carolina (the townspeople where we were interviewing insisted that they weren't in "the middle of nowhere", but "the middle of everywhere"), fishing on one of the nearby lakes, and meeting half the people in town. If you didn't already know it, there are still towns in America where everyone knows everyone else. I found this moderately interesting and more than a little terrifying; I was told by more than one person that if we took the job in question, I would find myself in possession of a high ranking in town due to my affiliation with one of the hopsital's doctors. Let's just say that my private personality isn't quite ready to be greeted by six people when I'm trying to grocery shop.

A tiny antique shop on the town's Main Street revealed these vintage beauties. I paid just $4.50 for all 4 patterns!

Of course I had to check out the shopping around the area. While there are absolutely NO yarn stores in town, there are at least a dozen within an hour and a half. We stopped at Purl's Yarn Emporium and Earth Guild in downtown Asheville, and I picked up a few things from Friends & Fiberworks, too:

Cute sheepy notecards and a copy of the latest Debbie Bliss Magazine.

With all that driving around, I had plenty of time to knit. I've got a new pattern in the works! It'll be out by the end of the month, but in the meantime, here's a sneak peek:

Oooh, ahhhh!

We're off to Florida for another interview in a mere 5 days. So much work to do before we leave! In the meantime, I didn't hear from Zabbers within 3 days of my last post, so it's time to draw another winner for Susan Crawford's giveaway! This time, Random.org has pronounced Knittingdancer to be the winner. Congrats Teresa, you've won a copy of Coronation Knits! You have until the end of Wednesday, August 22, to claim your prize or I'll draw another winner. You can email me at SarahATsexyknitterDOTcom or drop me a line on Ravelry. Everyone else, stay tuned! I have another amazing book giveaway coming up shortly!
_________________________________________________

Picks of the Day:

Want your Etsy Mini in this spot? Click here!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so gorgeous. I love the mittens. I also can't wait to see the sewing patterns!

    I've done a Follow Friday style blog-post today, and I've featured your blog on it. You're at the top with number one! I'd love it if you could recommend three blogs to me that you love to read, but if you don't have time that's no problem at all. (The blog is www.plutoniummuffins.com if you want to check it out.)

    Thank you for being a source of inspiration to me!

    Corrie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was an amazing trip, those vintage patterns ae a total find. Your mitts look awesome already- looking forward to the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will miss you! Thinking you need to open a small boutique shop in the small town & knit!

    ReplyDelete